The seven letters in Revelation are written to select churches in Asia Minor. They each have several levels of interpretation and all follow the same outline. Furthermore, each church has a theme, and the theme is found in every aspect of the letter, down to the meaning of the name of the church.
- Application based off the literal church at that time.
- Jesus mentions very specific things that were culturally relevant to the church members at each location.
- Each church received each letter and was encouraged to listen/learn from each, not just their own.
- We, personally, can learn and grow from each letter
- The letters, in the order Jesus gives them, happen to lay out church history in advance.
- Each letter corresponds roughly to a New Testament Epistle
- Each letter corresponds roughly to a parable that Jesus gave.
Each church follows this general outline. Some churches exclude parts, and it is instructive for us when that happens. Using this outline can help us better interpret and apply each letter.
- Title of the church
- Title(s) of Jesus Christ
Note: The Admonition (same in each letter) and promise to the one overcoming sections (6 & 7 above) are switched for the last four churches.
Note: those who are overcomers/overcoming are defined in 1 John: “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” [1 Jn 5:4-5]
LINKS TO EACH CHURCH